Younger, vibrant looking skin… It’s something men and women alike both want — and they’re all looking for the best anti-aging treatments and the best skincare procedures to help them get it. At Green Dermatology & Cosmetic Center, a Deerfield Beach dermatology office, we’ve got just the thing: microneedling with PRP.
There has been a lot of talk about this safe, effective and non-invasive skincare treatment that helps smooth, brighten and tone the skin, and reduce the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines and pores. But you might not be as familiar with PRP, or platelet-rich plasma therapy, which involves the application of a patient’s own growth factors into the body and helps wounds to heal at a quicker pace. PRP is a popular treatment to add to your microneedling experience — the duo has proven to be very successful when paired together — but can be done on its own as well. During a microneedling treatment, those little needles are creating punctures in the skin, and by adding PRP after the procedure has been done, it speeds up the healing process and rejuvenates the skin’s appearance even more so than the microneedling alone.
Interested in trying out PRP in Boca, but not sure if you’re ready? Before making your first appointment with Dr. Green, a dermatologist in Deerfield Beach, let us answer all your questions.
- What exactly is PRP? Platelet-rich plasma is a substance that promotes collagen production and healing. The plasma contains special proteins and growth factors that help the blood to clot and support cell growth. When PRP is applied directly onto damaged tissue (i.e., after a microneedling treatment), it causes the body to grow new, healthy skin cells. Here’s how it works: A patient’s own plasma are retrieved from a blood sample, separated from other blood components, and then topically applied back into the skin.
- What else can PRP be used for? At Green Dermatology & Cosmetic Center, we offer PRP as a skin rejuvenation treatment, but injections have been known to also help with hair restoration, tendon or acute sports injuries, postsurgical repair and osteoarthritis.
- How long does the process take? The entire process can take up to an hour. First, a small vial of your blood will be drawn, and then the blood is placed into a centrifuge that spins around quickly and causes the blood components to separate. This process takes around 10 minutes. After the process is complete, the separated plasma is applied onto the area being treated.
- Will my insurance cover it? Unfortunately, insurance plans do not cover “cosmetic” PRP treatments, as it is still considered an not medically necessary.
- Are there any serious side effects? Side effects, as with any skincare treatment, will vary person-to-person, but some risks include infection, tissue damage, nerve injury, or swelling at the injection sight. Since PRP is an autologous procedure, which means it contains substances from the patient’s own body, there is very low risk for any kind of allergic reaction that could occur.
- How long does it take to recover? Depending on the paired treatment, downtime may be needed following a PRP treatment. When coupled with microneedling, patients usually see results within a few days. The skin will be tighter and brighter. Except for the possibility of slight redness and the feeling of mild sunburn, discomfort is minimal.
In and around Boca Raton, cosmetic skin care procedures are in high demand, and Green Dermatology & Cosmetic Center proudly offers some of the best skincare treatments on the market. If you’re ready to give your skin that healthy glow from PRP and microneedling in Boca, contact us today to schedule an appointment.